Saturday, July 21, 2007

Quilted Bucket Tote



Pattern: None
Book: Bold Bags (A Leisure Arts book by Lazy Girl Designs)

This was a fun and easy bag to create! This tote was designed to be made from mock croc and faux leather, but after pricing the supplies, I decided to try the quilted version given on Lazy Girl's blog. This was my first stab at quilting, so it took a while to do, but it was a lot of fun to learn.

I modified this bag by...
1. Including pockets on the inside (I can't stand searching for my lip lube!),
2. Using a magnetic snap instead of velcro,
3. Placing the closure pieces on the front and back outside of the bag instead of the inside sides (I just liked the way this looked better),
4. Made my own handles using D-rings instead of purchasing faux leather handles,
5. Added a swivel hook to hang my keys on so I don't have to search for them, and
6. Made a matching, separate cell phone pouch from a free pattern I found online.



This bag ended up approximately 12" W x 10" D x 10" H. It's a bit too big for my personal tastes and I would interface the lining if I did it again to make the bag a tad more stable (I like a good sturdy bag!) even though this does stand up on its own, but I have been enjoying using it. I enjoy the quilted Americana look of it and there's definitely plenty of room in it! This bag was very easy to make. At some point in the future, I'd like to try some of the other bags in this book along with the mock croc and faux leather materials.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

Your Bucket Tote is beautiful.

Great job!

Joan Hawley
Lazy Girl Designs