Sunday, August 12, 2007

Simplicity 4123 Tank Top



This is a fun little tank top! This top has a gathered front and back below the neck band. There are two variations--flutter sleeves (View A) and tank top (View B). This is a multi-size pattern in sizes 10-22. I made a size 10, one size smaller than usual because there is 8 inches of ease built into this pattern and I didn't want that much room.

The pattern calls for cottons/blends, silky types, and lightweight linen types. Originally, I was going to make this top out of a crinkle knit, but I found that I didn't have enough fabric. While perusing the sale table at Wal-Mart, I found a very stable polyester knit with fall-like colors/theme that I liked and for only $2/yd! I figured I wouldn't be losing much money if the top bombed!

Love the style and the fit of this top in this fabric! I think the gathering is really cute. This is a quick & easy top, especially if you don't need the instructions. I found some of the instructions confusing. This wasn't a difficult top, but I had to reread the instructions several times to "get" some of it. I'm sure you advanced sewers wouldn't even bother with the instructions! However, I thought the neck band facings were sort of weird and added some (possibly unnecessary) steps to the whole process. There is probably an easier way to create the neck band and straps than detailed in the instructions, but I usually like to stick fairly closely to the directions to give 'em a try.

I made a few modifications while sewing this top. First, I didn't put interfacing on the neck bands. Since I was using a knit, I thought I'd keep it slightly stretchy.

Second, I didn't use bias tape in the arm holes. I knew I wouldn't be happy with the look of purchased bias tape on this top and I decided I was too lazy to make my own. Plus, it just seemed unnecesary. Instead, I folded the arm holes to the inside twice, taking up the 5/8" seam allowance, and stitched them down. Worked fine.

Third, I didn't sew the narrow hem. I just folded the seam allowance to the wrong side and stitched it down. I *may* run into an issue with the hem flipping up. If so, I can always just fold the hem over again and stitch--this top is plenty long on me.

I had a heck of a time getting started on this top! I had problems finding the right needle to sew through the fabric without skipping stitches. I got out the serger and after lengthy set-up and experimentation to get the tension, etc. correct, I serged the side seams. I used my sewing maching for the rest of the project. It wouldn't have taken me nearly as long as it did to sew this top if I hadn't had problems starting out. It's all good, though, because it was a learning experience and I got a nice top out of it!

I'm very happy with how this top turned out! I will enjoy wearing it for the rest of the summer and plan to wear it under a jacket this fall.






No comments: