Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pretty Patchwork Metropolitan Bag

Pattern: Indygo Junction IJ758 (The Metropolitan Handbag)

From the pattern envelope: "This simple style purse can change its look by simply changing its fabrics and/or its handles length. Create several moods by either using romantic vintage bark cloth or retro reproduction fabrics or even your classic cotton prints for a different look each time. The purse measures 19" wide at the lower edge and 11" tall excluding handles and has a magnetic snap closure. By using different combinations of fabrics you can create your own fashion statement. So be creative! Be daring!"

The finished dimensions of this bag are 19" W x 11" H and the pattern includes two handle lengths. I chose the longer handles. I used the country patchwork fabric about which I have previously blogged and blue denim-look weaver's cloth from Wal-Mart.

This bag is very easy to sew. I love the shape! It's roomy, but you don't have to worry about stuff falling out of the top. Also, the long handles are *just* long enough for the bag to go on my shoulder while wearing a t-shirt. If you like a *shoulder*bag, I recommend lengthening the straps.

At first, I wished this bag had pockets. I thought about adding some myself, but then I realized that the items I would keep in a pocket would come out anyway whenever I lay the purse down. I worry about having my cell phone loose in the bag, but I may make a matching cosmetic-type bag in which to carry those small loose items like lip lube & wipes.

A couple of problems I had with the pattern:

1. The instructions say to place the magnetic snap on the top band where the pattern indicates. Hmm... There's no marking on the pattern for the snap. Of course, it's pretty easy to find appropriate placement yourself.

2. When I went to pin the top band to the bag bottom, I found that the band circumference was too big for the bag body! I'm not sure if this was an error on my part or what--maybe I didn't cut the band correctly or maybe I didn't fold the pleats in the bag body correctly? (They look fine, though.) Nevertheless, I had to take out the topstitching and the seam stitching, cut off an extra 1/2-inch, then sew it all back together. All was well after that.

I followed the instructions for the bag except...

1. I added a swivel hook on the inside for my keys. I don't like having to fish around for them.

2. Instead of whip-stitching the band to the lining, I folded the seam allowance under, then topstitched it from the outside. This worked well.

3. I used Decor Bond interfacing on the entire top band piece, then folded it over per the instructions. I didn't want to buy Timtex since I already had Decor Bond.

This was a good, easy pattern with a very nice, satisfying outcome. It was easy to sew, didn't take much time nor much fabric. I'm sort of curious how it would look in leather.

Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cute! You are quite the bag maker.

Sue