Wednesday, September 12, 2007

New Dining Set!

A while back, we had a guy who works for a logging company call us to ask if we'd be interested in selling some trees on some land that we own. They were going to be next to our land and they thought it looked like there were some trees there that they could use. We decided to let them have our trees because we figured they would come on our land and get them anyway. (Many loggers are unscrupulous like that.) We figured that we might as well get paid for what they take! We don't use that section anyway because it's all timber. For those of you concerned about the environment, they took only certain trees that were the right size. They did not cut down the entire forest or anything!

So, to make a long story longer, because of the loggers, we now have a little extra money. We have been needing new dining room chairs for YEARS now. I've seriously been worried that someone is going to get hurt when one of those chairs falls apart underneath them! I decided to go ahead and get a new dining room set--table and chairs.

We went to the Amish or Mennonite-owned (don't know which!) Country Heritage Furniture in Jamesport. The set will be custom-made in oak and what they call Seely stain--basically a light oak color, but not as "golden" as what we've got now. We're getting a 42"x50" table, two leaves, and 6 chairs. We'll be able to comfortably sit 6 people at the table without the leaves and at least 8 people with the leaves. I'm so excited! The bad part is that we won't get the set until the second week of November. I guess I can't complain too much since I'm confident that I'm getting good quality furniture custom-made for me. Check out the pics of the floor model below.

Below is our current dining room and dining set. The table and chairs are all pretty old. We will keep the table for future use. I may eventually paint or do *something* with the buffet on the right of the photo just to break up all the brown from about waist-high and down. Or maybe I'll make some cute little slipcovers for my new chairs to bring in more color. We'll see!
















This is the set we are getting. Same chairs, table top, and table legs, but it will all be a different color as well as a smaller size. This set is stained a cherry color. It's beautiful, but the color doesn't go with the rest of our house.
















Here is a close-up of the chairs. The flash of the camera makes the finish look lighter than it is. There are no or very few LIGHTS in Amish & Mennonite stores!




















Finally, this is a close-up of the legs of the table. I LOVE these! We had to make the table a bit longer just to accommodate these legs.
Argh! I can't get things formatted correctly on here. So please excuse the fact that things are lining up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I think it will look fabulous. Now all the adults can sit at the table at one time when we are up there. We can just squeeze in the kids! I can't wait to see it!

XOXO,
Sue

The Borlase Bunch said...

your new furniture will last for generations! I am sure it will be very well made!