Monday, September 17, 2007

Pajamas!

The fabric for the kids' pajamas arrived on Saturday as well as a 10 pound box of "mystery" fabric from Fashion Fabrics Club. My sewing process normally goes like this: I find a pattern I like, then I have to search and search to find appropriate fabric. I decided to try the box of mystery fabric to see what happens if I reverse the process. I got a few hopeful yardages, but there are some that I can't imagine using. You never know though!


The magenta knit I ordered for Gracen's pants was supposed to be an interlock knit, but based on the Understanding Knits class I took in June, I think it's actually a french terry. No matter. It's nice fabric--heavier than the fabric for the top--but so nice that I want some pants made out of it, too! OK, probably not magenta pants...


The green camouflage fabric for Garrett's pajamas has some gold in it. I like it, but I wasn't sure if he would. He says he doesn't mind the gold, so I guess we're good to go.


Armed with fabric, I tackled sewing Gracen's pants on Sunday. The fabric was easy to cut out. The directions were easy to follow. I had no problems using the serger and was wondering why anyone would make knit pajama pants WITHOUT a serger! To sew the waistband, I used a small zig-zag stitch--lets it stretch without popping stitches. I ended up cutting off about 2 inches from each leg. I *should've* measured DD before I cut the pattern out, but I didn't and I thought I would sew the extra up into the hem allowance. That was just too much fabric though, so I cut off the excess. Instead of doing a one-inch seam, I decided to just fold the allowance over twice, then did a LARGE zig-zag stitch over the bulk of it. I think it gives it a fun little touch. Feast your eyes...



These pants were *super-easy* to do. I think DD probably could've used a size smaller, but she is SO HARD to fit right now! She's very much between sizes and it appears that she's going to have her daddy's long torso and short(er) legs. Of course, mommy isn't tall, but at least all my parts are in proportion! ;oP I figure that she'll continue to grow into these and if needed, we can let the hem of the legs out as she gets taller. This mission has officially been accomplished!


I'll be starting Garrett's pajamas this afternoon. I won't be able to complete them today as I need more elastic for the waistband, but we'll see what I can get done.

No comments: